As humans, we not always know in our words what we are looking for when we go to a web search console and try to fit our sense of search into words we have already known, or think at the moment. But that might not be the best representation of what we need to put into search to get the results which are most aligned with our needs.
This brings into picture the term called ‘Keyword Research’ which is the way to find the actual term to be looked and searched for I order to get most relevant results. This is a way to get all possible associated and related, best suited phrases to look for, which can further used for promotion and marketing content as well.
Process for Keyword Research for SEO
- First generate a rough list of topics based on your own understanding, knowledge and awareness of business. To begin with this, for example, get broader and generic topics and words first which you want to be considered for on the web. Once there are few good number of terms like 5 or so then you can start refining them post this. These topics would be the one you write about most, or talk about most or use to explain and converse about your business and webpage.
- Next good way to guess about these initial key terms is to think from the perspective of your customer and consumer, from the other side and imagine yourself what they would need, ask and look for.
- These are the words which now create your initial buckets and clusters. Here, the next step is to find more specific and refined, narrower and targeted terms for each cluster. By the end of this step, you will have enough phrases for which you would be searched by your end customer. This is not the end, but the initial brainstorm and idea generation workshop type exercise where you generate terms and phrases.
- Next addition to this step could be to look into which terms you are already being searched for and found for and what profile your searchers have, in their personal and professional front. This data can be availed through Analytics tool available through Google. This little bit of analysis could be very helpful in getting very critical information to form your initial buckets of terms.
- After few reiterations and repeated attempts on this exercise, there would be a huge array to work on.
This goes without saying that doing the best and right things for yourself and your business is not enough. You need to know your relative and comparative position in the market with respect to your customer. But again, this does not mean that your choices and decisions about these key terms should originate based on what and how your competitor has taken up this process.
Finally, you can use Google AdWords Keyword Planner to filter out and the l and cut down the redundant and not useful terms, eliminating the excess.